UC Davis - Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Science
Junior Specialist - Comparison of Asynchronous Telepsychiatry vs. Synchronous Telepsychiatry in Skilled Nursing Facilities
Junior Specialist - Recruitment/ Position Description
SERIES NATURE AND PURPOSE
The position of Junior Specialist has a narrow focus in a specialized area and provides technical or specialized expertise (e.g., with instrumentation and research equipment, or with research methods) in the planning and execution of a research project. Junior Specialists are required to be actively and significantly involved in publishable research activities, including reviewing journal articles and engaging in discussions on research and the interpretation of research results. Junior Specialists are also expected to participate in appropriate professional/technical societies or groups and other educational and research organizations as well as review research proposals, journal manuscripts, and publications as applicable related to their research area of expertise.
The incumbent for this position will be involved in interdisciplinary studies focusing on questions in clinical research using telepsychiatry. This will entail subject recruitment, communicating with various healthcare professionals, study volunteers, and family members. Technical expertise will be developed after initial training in using telecommunication via internet connection and use of HIPAA compliant telemedicine software platforms. The incumbent will also participate in data entry, monitoring of data fidelity, correct inaccurate and missing data, and help with data analysis. The incumbent will also be asked to participate in manuscript preparation and co-author in peer review journals.
General responsibilities include:
I. RESEARCH ACTIVITY (75%)
- Specific research and technical activities: actively and significantly involved in publishable research activities (including reviewing journal articles and engaging in discussions on research and the interpretation of research results.
- Specific duties: Incumbent will collaborate with PI, co-PI, study site healthcare professional, other research coordinators, research psychiatrists, among others. Duties include recruiting research study volunteers, performing informed consent, coordinating clinical research schedule, setting up telemedicine equipment, conducting volunteer interviews for the purpose of data collection, participating in data entry, providing consultation report to site clinicians, and problem solving with direction given by study PI and co-PI. Manuscript preparation will entail literature review, assistant statistician of data summary tables/figures, and writing of initial manuscript drafts. The PI will provide mentorship to Junior Specialists in career development and furthering of professional education such as entry into graduate studies.
II. PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE AND ACTIVITY (20%)
- Specific professional activities: participate in university mandated training for research personnel.
- Participate to presentation of preliminary data in telemedicine or clinical psychiatry research.
- Participate in case conferences.
- Receive feedback about interviews conducted and observe interviews of other trainees and professionals.
III. UNIVERSITY AND PUBLIC SERVICE (5%)
- Serve as interview panel member for the recruitment of other research staff as search committee member within the department, college, campus and other University entities, as appropriate.
- Provide mentorship to student research assistants.
- Participate in university voluntary services such as free student-run clinics, health fairs, as interested.
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, cognitive science, biology, or a related field with a minimum of 1 year experience in conducting research studies (or in clinical services) in a healthcare, psychology, or other related discipline (e.g., undergraduate thesis).
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple deadlines, adjust workflow, and task prioritization.
- Experience in human subjects research (e.g., participant testing), preferably with adults or older adults (> age 65).
- Ability to transport self to and from community site locations.
- Demonstrated ability to use data analysis programs or similar (e.g., excel, csv, jmp, SPSS, R, MATLAB).
- Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet software such as Excel to create and edit data, manage data sets in spreadsheet, perform mathematical tasks accurately using formulas, and create documents.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft applications including Microsoft Word and Powerpoint, electronic calendaring and e-mail software (Outlook).
- Experience writing/submitting abstracts or manuscripts for peer review.
- Experience conducting semi-structured interviews with human subjects (e.g., clinical assessments).
- Bilingual Spanish language skills a plus
TERM OF APPOINTMENT: 12 month term appointment from start date at 60% time .
SALARY RANGE Step 1 - $38,112 annual (based on full time employment), or Step II - $40,656 annual (based on full time employment), commensurate with qualifications and experience.
TO APPLY: For full consideration, applications must be received by May 1, 2018; however, the position will remain open through June 30, 2018, or until filled. To apply, please go to the following link: https://recruit.ucdavis.edu/apply/JPF02146
Applicants should submit cover letter, CV or resume, and contact information for at least 3-5 references. Documents/materials must be submitted as PDF files.
The University of California, Davis commits to inclusion excellence by advancing equity, diversity and inclusion in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
Under Federal law, the University of California may employ only individuals who are legally able to work in the United States as established by providing documents as specified in the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Certain UCSC positions funded by federal contracts or sub-contracts require the selected candidate to pass an E-Verify check. More information is available http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
UC Davis is a smoke & tobacco-free campus (http://breathefree.ucdavis.edu/).
If you need accommodation due to a disability, please contact the recruiting department.